On June 13, Airbnb announced it has been working with the Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA) as the company launched its Airbnb Adventures. With quality at the core of Airbnb’s value proposition to guests, the ATTA’s expertise was drawn on to deepen Airbnb’s support to hosts and guests by providing safety tips, best practices, and the latest research specific to multi-day and remote adventures.
“This affiliation between the ATTA and Airbnb is one rooted in a key belief that travel has vast potential to make the world a better place,” said Shannon Stowell, CEO, ATTA. “As the industry rapidly expands and as adventure travel experiences become more readily available online, we have an opportunity to help guide the industry’s inevitable growth in a positive and meaningful way.”
“With our vast network of members and partners, we believe no other tourism association has the global reach across so many activities, which is why we feel it is our responsibility to share best practices and support the growth of adventure travel through all distribution channels,” said Casey Hanisko, the ATTA’s president. “The demand for ATTA’s advisory services is because adventure travel, once reserved for only the most skilled and affluent travellers, is now desired by and accessible to a much broader audience. This is great news for the industry, especially if safety standards are raised and best practices are shared and followed.”
“At Airbnb, we believe that everyone deserves to have a transformational experience. Through Airbnb Adventures, we want to create the opportunity for hosts to offer the kind of immersions and cross-cultural connections that people want, but have not always been able to afford,” said Joe Zadeh, Vice President, Head of Airbnb Experiences. “With more travellers seeking adventure than ever before, we look forward to continuing to work with the ATTA to promote safety and best practices.”
Airbnb Adventures is a new collection of bucket list worthy multi-day experiences hosted by local experts that take intimate groups to epic, off-the-beaten-path locations and immerses them in unique cultures and communities. These unique and magical travel experiences as Airbnb Adventures include for the first time lodging, meals, and activities.
At launch, there are over 200+ adventures to choose from that are either entirely exclusive to Airbnb, or provided by small, local operators that are not typically found on any other major booking platform. They are hosted by experienced locals that have fascinating stories to share, and because they always take place in intimate groups, guests can look to learn, make personal connections, seek challenges and grow.
• 200+ available globally at launch, with many more to be added before the end of the year
• All Adventures are in small groups with a maximum capacity of 12 guests or less
• Median price of an Adventure is $588 for a three-day trip
• Hosts offer Adventures under a range of budgets from $79 for an overnight trip up to $5,000 for once-in-a-lifetime 10-day treks*
• Adventures cover a wide breadth of activity ranging from active to foodie, farming to camping, music to animals – always with a strong element of the local community
• As part of the launch of Airbnb Adventures, Airbnb has partnered with GoPro. Travellers booking an Adventure will get $200 off a GoPro HERO7 Black Adventure Kit. Offer ends 12/31/19.
• The Around the World in 80 Days Adventure will be available to book from June 20, from London to London departing September 1, 2019
• Hosts are the providers of Adventures: they arrange their own Adventure, control when and where they host, the itinerary, where they stay, what services they offer, and what they charge. Flights not included with the exception of inter-country travel within the Around the World in 80 Days itinerary.